It is located in the North of "Extremadura" and on the South of the region" Las Hurdes", between 40°17´ latitude north and 7°22´ latitude west and 513 m. above the sea-level.
The access is quite easy by the road Ex- 204, taking the deviation at "Caminomorisco" direction "Casar de Palomero" (Ex-269). Another possibility is to take the deviation at "Pinofranqueado" direction "Azabal" and "Casar de Palomero" (CCV- 110). The last option is the road coming from "Plasencia" and then from "La Pesga" (CCV-64).
The first traces of human presence date as far back as the later Neolithic age. In this time a tribe settled on a hill, which is about 3 kms from today's city centre. The zone they had chosen was rocky, with little caves serving them as shelter.
After that we have hints for a roman camp to have existed in the sierra de Santa Barbara and another one in the nearby valley. In the valley we find family settlements, whereas in the sierra a military camp was built, from which a territory of about 500 sqkm was controlled.
After the expulsion of the Romans, the village was occupied by central European barbarians and thereby extended the southern frontier of the German kingdom to the Iberian Peninsula. The roman fortification was destroyed by the settlement around the year 414.
In 911 the village was conquered by Arab troops. The Arab settlers built a mosque in order to celebrate their religious ceremonies. When the Arab empire was doomed, in 1002 the village was re-conquered by the kingdom of Leon.
From that time on there lived together three cultures in the village: the Christian, basically military and ecclesiastic, the Jewish, who mainly were merchants and the Arab, to whom we owe the goldsmith's work and manufactures.
The Christian and Jewish population had a very tensed climate between each other, which exploded on Good Friday of the year 1488, when the Jews threw stones at the cross of Puerto de Gamo. The duke of Alba condemned the Jews and ordered their synagogue to be transformed into a Christian church. In 1706 the basilica of the holy cross was built where once was the synagogue.
We recommend to visit the church called "Basilica de la Cruz Bendita" (S. XVIII), the old synagogue, and the parish church called "Parroquia del Espiritu Santo".
The visitor can also have a walk through the narrow streets in the Jewish- and Arab -quarter, observing the different constructions getting to the Market place with its impressing porches.
The visitor can get some information about the activities done in the village going to the "House of Culture".
Hostal Restaurante "Marian"
There are not many artisan works in the village at the present, but the main works used to be on wood and osier producing castanets and baskets.
The production nowadays is just for the consume of the people in town.
What to buy
The visitor can take a bath in the municipal swimming pool in the village.